Thursday, December 18, 2008

Treat and Generosity




Booking Through Thursday

Apparently, there are two part questions for today Booking Through Thursday. So I decided to go ahead and answers them both anyway.

1. Question for Treat :

What is the best book you ever bought for yourself?
And, why? What made it the best? What made it so special?

~~ Hmmm there is so many books that I thought of to be the best book I ever brought for myself. It hard to narrow it down into one best book. It could be a book from Nora Roberts or Suzanne Brockmann. And even Diana Gabaldon. These are my favorite authors. Or even the The Last Spymaster by Gayle Lynds (Darla would agree with me on this book *grin* - It's a wonderful book!). I will just say what make all of these books the best and special is because the authors have written a very well deserved characters that seem real and alive for us to love and to remember them as they should be.


2. Question for Generosity :

Do you give books as gifts?

To everyone? Or only to select people?

How do you feel about receiving books as gifts?

~~ I give books as gifts all the times. On every Birthday or Christmas. Or sometime "It's Just Because....". Normally I would give them the books that I know they'll like ( their favorite genres, topics, hobbies). And sometime I will buy my favorite book and pass it along to friends too. But if I didn't know their favorite genres or interested topic, then I sent gift card instead. I think I give out books to select people who I know love to read. Non-reader (my family) weren't enjoy reading books, no matter how hard I try to get them to. With kids, it easier for me to get them to start on reading books but with adult - you just have to try harder or just given up. I always think, it never too late for kids to learn to read. The younger they learn the easiest it'll be. And they will enjoy reading. So I give books to kids all the times. Especially my friends' kids. And I make sure the books I buy is base on the kids interested topic or hobbies.

I love it when I received books as gifts in the mails (even if it's gift card too!). I get so excited like a kid and break into Happy Snoopy Dance *grin*. I appreciate the thoughts the sender had put in to buy it for me. They knew me too well *grin*. I also love it when the sender wanted to pass and share with me their favorite books as well. I love to read what made the readers/my friends excited over their favorite. I get these gifts all the times. And most of the times, I end up liking it too :)

What about you? Give books as gift? To everyone or select people? And do you like receiving books as gifts?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

7 comments:

Melody said...

Great answers, Julia!
I forgot to mention gift cards! They're great gifts as well! ;)

Alice said...

Julia, I like your answer to both the questions. Nora Roberts have a few books that I really like too.

I hope your problem with the Amazon gift card has been resolved...

SmilingSally said...

I've done the Happy Dance when I hear the UPS truck squeal to a stop and I'm expecting a book.

Beth F said...

Good answers!! I mentioned gift cards too.

Robin M said...

I love Nora too. I love receiving books as gifts especially when the person goes to the trouble to get me something I like.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Anonymous said...

I'm spending a lot of time matching books to their recipients, especially those who don't read much. I believe there is a book for everybody.

I’m a “piece of work” in terms of recipient of books. Over the years my friends have cringed from giving me books for my birthday owing to my eclectic taste. They also keep in mind that I’ve probably read some of the books they want to give me. Books do make perfect gifts, but by their very nature, books can also be a problem as tokens of affection. The delay factor is huge. Some books get a one-way ticket back to the used bookstore.

gautami tripathy said...

I don't much like Nora Roberts.

Here are my BTT posts:

Booking through treat

Booking through generosity