Thursday, February 26, 2009

Collectibles





Booking Through Thursday


Hardcover? Or paperback?
Illustrations? Or just text?
First editions? Or you don’t care?
Signed by the author? Or not?

The majority of my books buying are in paperback. Mostly all the series and trilogies books are. But a lot of my favorite auto buy authors are brought in hardcover. I do have some hardcover that are a stand alone books. But I also have some that are in series too. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series books, for example. And then I also have trade paperback books too, which isn't whole lot of them.

Not sure if I'm answering this question correctly, but I think I prefer texts over pictures, although a cute little picture (like a pair of shoes for example) over the top of the inside Chapters of the book is nice touch. But then what attracted me more is the pictures from the bookcover. I just only wish that the picture (especially model) would match the characters from inside of the book. If it auto buy authors, I weren't care one way or another if it has picture or texts only.

I would have wanted first edition books. It'll be in it original form. But sometime one way or another, I weren't care as long as it good as new.

And yes, I would love it if authors personalized/signed my books. I have some that are personalized and signed but mostly are from virtual signing. I wish that some of my favorite authors could come down and have their booksigning here. But the close they ever come is to Texas and Florida. Including other states. But I couldn't go. The only two authors I did met face to face was Suzanne Brockmann and Nora Roberts. There whole lot of other authors I would love to met someday!

What about you? How do you collected?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

13 comments:

Melody said...

I know you're a BIG fan of NR and SB!!! :)

It's indeed nice to have our books autographed, isn't it? You're lucky that you did meet up with a few authors... the chances of me meeting my favourite authors are nil since I'm staying so far away, LOL!

Julia said...

Awww Melody - I'm sure someday you'll be able to met your favorite authors. And as I said on your post, when you do met them then you be able to experience the excitment like I did. Come to US and you be so closer - but met me first! LOL

Anonymous said...

For me the contents of the book matters, nothing else is as important

Melody said...

Well, if they'll fly to Singapore that is, LOL.

It'd be GREAT to visit the US, but I'm not sure when that day will be! ;)

Savidge Reads said...

I am a paperback fan too!

Jo said...

I don't care about pictures at all. It is the words taht are important. I know what you mean about the cover not relating to the book though.

Kat said...

Hi Julia! First edition books are good too, but they're normally hardbound and more expensive.

If a book is meant to have pictures then I don't mind, like children's books or YA books, but for adult contemporary, I'd go for pure text and paperback. Easier to carry around.

Here's mine. Happy BTT!

Beth F said...

Nice post. YOu're lucky to have met some of your favorite authors!

Alice said...

Hi Julia! It doesn't really matter to me as long as the story is good. Great illustrations are a bonus. I do prefer paperbacks because they're so much easier to carry around. :)

Anonymous said...

We think very much alike.

Nise' said...

How nice that you were able to meet Suzanne and Nora! I would like to meet both of them too.

zetor said...

I really prefer text over illustratons , my answer is here, http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/booking-through-thursday_26.html

Julia said...

Gautami - Yes the contents of the books matter and nothing else should. It the story that hook me after all :)

Melody - One of the day, when you do come to US, make sure you visit me too! *grin*

Simon - Paperback is so easy for me to hold, since I have small baby hand. And even easier to carry too :)

Jo - You're right, it the words that are important. I would chose words over pictures too. I try to be fair when it come to the picture in the book cover. But it even harder to imagine what characters are like when reading the book -- and the book cover doesn't even match what inside the book - eh

I agree with what you say. But some first edition are even in paperback too. It so nice to finally hear from you, after all the trouble of getting into your old blog (which I did saved to my sidebar.) But thanks goodness you leave a link directly to your new blog. I have already replace the old blog link with the new one on my sidebar. Happy to hear from you again! :)

Beth - Thanks for your kind comments. I hope someday, if you haven't yet, met your favorite authors too. You would be able to experience the excitment as I did :)

Hi Alice! Yes you right, it shouldn't matter, so as long that the story is good. And I agree about paperback. Thanks for stopping by. I knew I can always count on you (and Melody) to stop and comment my blog :)

Barbara - Scary that we think alike LOL ! But thanks for stopping by as always :)

Nise - I hope someday that you able to met Nora and Suzanne too. I think you would have love to see them :)

Zetor - I prefer text over picture too. But some pictures aren't bad to have :)

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I appericate the times you guys took to visit and comments. Hope you come back again :)