Thursday, September 06, 2007

Goldilocks




Booking Through Thursday

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.

So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?

Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?

Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?


- I'm not sure if I describe myself as the Goldilocks, since I can read either way. If I waited the perfect time to read, than I will never get any of my reading done. I'm always reading in front of my TV, during commercial break or when certain scenes on the shows does not interested me. Sometime I even have a small musics in the background playing while am reading too. And I do read while am boiling water or heating up something in the oven. I pretty much read anywhere, anytime. When I want to read, I just get to it. (except when am riding in car. the motions make me feel ill/sick when I read)

However, depending on how the authors writing flow, I may need to find the right time and place to read it and have less noises in the background. Because sometime I need to read the book slowly and smoothly to understand the story better. Some need concentration and "mood". Example: The Outlander series...IMO.

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm with you! If I had to wait for the perfect time, I would never finish a book!! But you are right. Some books are way easier to tune out distractions with. If I'm not all that interested, it's harder to get focused!

CeeCee said...

Every time is a perfect time to read with me, except when I'm sleepy.

Mei said...

I absolutely have to have the right conditions if I'm studying or preparing lessons. But I try not to do those things too often :)
With other books, I just dive right in; the amount of time I have is irrelevant.

Marianne Arkins said...

I hadn't thought about that... but some books do require more concentration!

Thanks for swinging by my blog earlier :-)

Melody said...

I suppose I can read anywhere, except in a moving vehicle, it makes me giddy!

Happy reading! :)

Alice said...

Same here, same here but I can read for hours in a car (long distance travel). One thing though, it's a lil bit 'tricky' if I'm hungry. I'd feel nauseous... Otherwise, I'm good to go reading in the car. :)

Julia said...

Stephanies - Yes, some books are easier to tune out but others are not. So the thicks one are always the one I need focus on

Cee Cee - you have a high energy than me, I guess hehehe. Thanks for being here

Mei - when is it the right time when you start reading?

Marianne - Yep some books do required more concnetration. So the more noises, the more unfocus I will be

Melody - Me too, I can't read in moving car or I get myself ills. Even eating and drinking does not help me

Alice - That happen to me on my road trip to Maryland. I ate a bit of breakfast before my friend and I got in the road to head home. But than I felt nauseated and we had to make a stop in fast resturant for me to eat more. But it was alos hot that day, so that even make it worse..

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I hope you have a good weekend ahead!