Thursday, December 13, 2007

Catalog




Booking Through Thursday

Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))

If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?


- I use to catalog my books in spreadsheet and than the notebooks, but now I use the "Microsoft Word" from my computer to post all the books that I have read through the years. I have been using this method for nearly 2-3 years now. Unfortunately my old computer broke recently and I lost my access to get on my old computer. So I couldn't get into my old computer to get my 2-3 years worth of saving my book-catalog from my "Microsoft Word". With this new computer I have now, I have to start all over again. But between the time when I was using the "Microsoft Word" from my old record, my friend Darla gotten me into Blog. She show me to do book's reviews on this blog. And than I realized that I could use this blog as my way of catalog my books I've read through the years. It help me to remember what books I've read and which I didn't.

Months ago, another friend invited me to Shelfari, and I use that one too. It been a long while since I updated it though. But many of my friends (both blogger and non blogger) are using it and some updated them often. I have heard of Library Thing, but I don't use it. And I don't know why. But many of my blogger friends are using it too. I wonder...which method is more better useful tools - Shelfari or Library Thing?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

14 comments:

BooksPlease said...

Hi Julia, thanks for visiting my blog. I know that feeling of having to start all over again cataloguing books!

Fern Chasida said...

Hi Julia,
I like LibraryThing but not Shelfari. Can't pinpoint the reason. Funny how we each have our preferences for these online tools.

Melody said...

I hate to lose all the datas after all the time & efforts spent, so I completely understand how you felt at that time.

I suppose LibraryThing and Shelfari are both great for cataloguing books, and I'm glad to have signed up with them other than 'cataloguing' on my blog, hehe.

Kat said...

I like Library Thing because I can access it anywhere, as opposed to using a spreadsheet which I can lose if my PC crashes. I suppose I can upload the file to ehehe.

Julia said...

Booksplate - Thanks for visiting my blog! It made me so mad to have to start all over again and it was 2-3 years of cataloging it *sigh*

Fern Chasida - I never tried Library Thing, so I can't compare. But thanks for telling me your experience with both :)

Melody - Thanks for understanding about losing all the hard work of long cataloging....which site do you like the most, Library Thing or Shelfari?

Kat - Uploading or printing it out could take a long time LOL...thanks for telling me your experience with Library Thing. Maybe I take look at it and try it sometime :)

Thanks everyone for stopping by, I hope you all have a good day!

Julia-Yen

Marg said...

I haven't even really looked at Shelfari because I spent forever adding all my books at Library Thing. I couldn't face doing that again! Now I am behind of LT so maybe it's worth looking at, but for the most part I just use spreadsheets.

Jodie Robson said...

Once I started using Library Thing I looked at Shelfari, but it didn't feel "right" for me. That may be because I had got used to the way LT works, though!

gautami tripathy said...

I too don't like Shelfari. I prefer LT!

Booking through Cataloguing

Alice said...

Aaaaah... that feeling of having to start from ground zero again. I know that one. Remember the time where my database just went *poof*?...

LibraryThing is cool. :)

Stephanie said...

When I found Library Thing last year, I went ahead and purchased the life-time subscription. Figured I would use it!! I'm gradually adding my books. But with the amount I have, it could take a while!!

I was like you and used a spreadsheet on my computer. Worked great until my hard drive crashed and I couldn't retrieve it again!!

Happy Thursday!!

Melody said...

I guess I have no comments on both, Julia. Both works equally fine to me. :)

pussreboots said...

I started reviewing everything I read this year but I've been keeping a list of what I've read since 1987. I also have a database for keeping track of the books I have. Happy BTT.

Julia said...

Marg - I've been using spread sheet too for the most of my books. I just recently use Shelfari, but haven't been updating. But than maybe I try Library Thing, since more people like that one? *shrug*

GeraniumCat - thanks for your opinion on this. I use one site and add a lot list of books there ..and to have another site...I might forgotten my first site *lol*

gautami tripathy - Thanks for your opinion. Why do you prefer that one over the other?

Alice - Yeah I remember you had gone down that road before. It is so pain in the butt to start over...*sigh*

Stephanie - So sorry you lost all your old spreadsheet when computer drive crashed. I hope you able to regain some of your books or re-start all over again :)

Melody - Thanks, for letting me :)

Pussreboots - It always good to have spreadsheet of list of books you have read over the years :)

Thanks everyone for visiting my blog! Have a good day!

Alice said...

I like LibraryThing. I hope to be more active with it in time to come...