Thursday, July 10, 2008

Doomsday




Booking Through Thursday

One of my favorite bookstores burned down last weekend, and while I only got to visit there while I was on vacation, it made me stop and think.
What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?

~~ Well...actually this did happen about 4 month ago. I believe it was a Border Bookstore, located inside the mall. Their excuse to close the store was because they just open a brand new Barnes and Noble bookstore close by, about 10-15 minute drive from the mall to there. But because it was new, they didn't have all the books on stock - even though there are plenty of books in the store. However strangely enough, today I just did a search to find out if there will be any bookstore opening in the that same mall. Apparently, from the store Directory - it said that it will open a Border bookstore at the end of August. UH? Why close the old one and then only to open the same store company in August? Don't make sense, unless they're not getting lot of customers at the new Barnes and Noble that are nearby, OR the store Directory wasn't updated online. I was upset when the old Border was close down. Because it save me the time from driving else where and easier for me to find books while I am shopping in the mall for other stuff at same time. Either way, if they are re-opening the Border store in the mall, I be a happy camper!

I think I be upset and devastated if my favorite bookstore was unavailable. Because there is a good reason why I shop there in the first place. But if I had to go shop somewhere else, I know that it won't be a problem. Since there are plenty of other bookstores that are nearby(Book A Million, Other Barnes and Noble - there 3 - and Walden Bookstore)including branch of libraries. I probably will feel that I'm going to miss the one I always goes to, but I know that it my only choice if I had to go somewhere else and start a new. Plus, there bookstore online where I shop too. So it no hardship to orders book just at the click of the mouse.

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

No comments: