Monday, August 04, 2008
The Power of Love (anthology authors)
Lori Foster's website (and written by other authors)
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Pub. Date: June 2008
This is my July read, but I took long time doing my review after I was done reading it few days ago...sorry about that.
I got mine personalize autographed copy of The Power of Love, when a kind lady from one of my Yahoo Group went to Lori Foster's Event and brought it for me. Thanks to Joni for your kindness and being wonderful to get me copy! Also thanks to all the authors who signed it for me, too. You guys are awesome! I'm sorry for the 3 or 4 authors who couldn't make it. I would have loves to have them sign my book too :) Someday I will be able to meet all the Ohio authors or attend Ohio signing events, and when I do -- I just know that I'll be taken care of by wonderful ladies.
I finally has the chance to sit down and read the book without interruption (thanks goodness for small favor!)and enjoy the book. It was wonderful! I knew ahead of time, that all the money will benefit to the Battered Women's Shelter of Cincinnati..and I thought that was wonderful thing for authors to do. Their generosity, helping hands and heart sure does spread BIG. They are such wonderful people! Power of Love is an wonderful stories written by twelves great authors. My only compliant is that that each stories were so short. I felt that some stories could have it own full length and developed more. But I understand the reason for the short stories. Beside that, the book were good!
book back blurb:
In this engaging anthology of never-before published stories, twelve award-winning and bestseller authors are united by their unique visions of the resilient woman and her quest for self, for fulfillment, for em-powerment, and for an enriching new appreciation for what love really means -- and why it matters.
A young woman is torn between the overbearing security of her fiance and the excitement of an old flame...A desperate wife is forced into the workplace for the first time in her life....An ambitious professional woman finally finds the courage to take control of her career - and her man...An emotionally fragile divorcee finds resolve in the ethereal visitations of an archangel. These are just some of the women who discover and rediscover their wonderfully fallible selves in the shadow of love --- romantic love, platonic love, new love, and lost love. You'll be touched, inspired, charmed and entertained by these twelve original stories of disparate longing, unsettled lives and the power of love...
End book back blurb
Here my short reviews - *CAUTION - SPOILERS ALERT BELOW!*
1. Sweet Dream by Lori Foster - Cara woke up from a sexual sweet dream. Then she find herself starring at Jamison Lawton across the building, outside from her window. The man who happen to be in her dream. After he told her he had the same dream, he knew it was time to take action by inviting her for late night swim in the public pool. Then later he tell her he had waited for her for five years and he ready to have relationship with her. Cara finally accept him and it was sweet dream come true. 4 stars
2. Unpredictable by Erin McCarthy - Hannah, a psychic, caught the purse from the purse snatcher after she had vision of him dropping it while on a run. But she didn't count on being trapped by police dog name Ralph and his owner Officer, Luke Warner. Fascinated with Hannah psychic ability and his attraction toward her, he asked her out for a drink, but she decline. Hannah fear that men from her past don't want to be in relationship with her because she is psychic freak. She think sometimes it more of a curse than a blessing. But Luke was different. When he finally convinced her they make a good team working together, Hannah knew then that he just the man who would love her....and her unusual psychic talent. 4 stars
3. After Hours by Toni Blake - Marla Shepherd unrequited love for her boss Michael, had been going on since she started working for him at the Keating and Company. But the love part didn't happen until they start to have not professional lunch...but personal one. She knew lot about him and he in return, and that how they seem to click well. But when she had been offer a better job in Pittsburgh, she knew she going to have to tell him. But then Michael told her he had feeling for her and suddenly it become hard for her to tell him she quiting and moving. And when she does, would it mean their relationship end there? 4.5 stars
4. Last of the Red Hot Mammas by Dianne Castell - Gloria had an short hours of incredible mind blowing sex with a man who she thought her sister Sue Ellen had paid to hook up with her. She soon discover her mistake and then discover that he was the new school principal, Rab Langley who just moved in from Atlanta. Rab then asked Gloria for a date, but she decline. After he tried twice to sway her with musics and flowers, in front of the crowd, she still turn him down. When she realized her mistake, she decided to take the matter from her own hand and redo her decision to get him back. 4.5 stars
5. Saleman of the Year by Karen Kelly - Jennifer and her fiance Adam will be married in a month, so they were looking for a house. she and Adam went to met up with their Realtor, only to discover that the realtor happen to be Devon --- Jennifer high school first love. The memory of their break up start to come back and Jennifer wonder why he didn't stay. And while Devon had plan to get her back, she then realized that Adam is always putting her down and he not the guy he use to be. 4 stars
6. Dance the Fandango by Rosemary Laurey - Magda Stephenson's husband died just over a year ago and her children think it's time she moved on and date again. But in secret she is seeing Juan Hernandez and Megda want to tell them but she worry that they won't like Juan. 4.5 stars
7. The Girl Next Door by Janice Maynard - After Jason Ratcliff's parent died from car accident, he came home to his family's farm to take care of his dad'crop of corn and his two young sisters. Then six year later, even under his protest, his sister insisted he sold the farm and go back to University of Virginia for his degree. And become a architect. They realized how much Jason have given up to take care of them and see to it that they go college. But everything seem to be working well for him except one unanswered question....what is he going to do about Felicity, the girl next door who he fell in love with? 4 stars
8. Chicken Soup for Annie by LuAnn McLane - Josh Wainscot is the pastor of First Christian Church and the owner of the thrift shop. He assumed that Annie have come to his shop because she sign up for volunteer sheet, but turn out she was sent there by someone she work for at the bookstore to asked Josh for help. Since Annie and her daughter is new to town the misunderstanding between them lead Josh to fall in love for Annie. 4 stars
9. No Angel by Lucy Monroe - Cheryl Gentry is interested in her boss, Zack Alexander. But she think he won't be interested in her because she isn't the type of woman he want. But while she was debating rather to date again since she left her controlling husband of six years, Zack throw his bad mood on her because she didn't cancel his dinner date with his ex Leslie (the angel). Feed up, she walk out of the office to go home. After accepting his apology, Cheryl and Zack soon built up their relationship 4 stars
10. Angel In the Alley by Patricia Sargeant - Sara getting ready to open her coffee shop business at Fresh Baked on Monday, when she notice a stranger making his home shift near the corner of her shop. She decided to ask him to assistance her, to get her shop ready. unknown to her, that Raphael is the archangel of the healing who came to help healed Sara. 4.5 stars
11. Hannah's Choice by Kay Stockham - Hannah came home, after she left her abuse boyfriend Owen, because she wanted to face her past and move toward the future - with Mitch. But she end up running to the rail of the footbridge crossing the canal and jump down into the water, to save a dog that was inside the tied sack and tossed into the water. She didn't even counted on Mitch there, to save her. After the dog was safe and taken to the animal hospital, Hannah and Mitch finally sat down and talk about their past. About why she chose Owen over Mitch. Hannah made her choice to leave her terrible past behind and love Mitch again. 4.5 stars
12. The Mouse Who Roared by J.C. Wilde - After Amy overheard her boss Eve insulting her to Dan behind her back, she decided to stand up for herself and take a sudden turn and change. She changed everything about herself, her life, quit her job and take a chance to date Jack to prove that she isn't an old hag. Jack and Amy interaction have been happen over the past year and finally she going to be with the man of her dream. 4.5 stars
All stories are wonderful, and the common connection from each stories is that the heroine have finally stood up for themselves to make different in their lives. Make a choice, and take that chance.