Thursday, October 09, 2008

A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading.

Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:35 am




Booking Through Thursday


I’ve seen this series of questions floating around the ‘net the last few days, and thought it looked like a good one for us!

What was the last book you bought
Actually I brought some books for my Birthday last Saturday:
~ The Book of Scandal by Julia London
~ Power Play by Deirdre Martin
~ Show No Mercy by Cindy Gerard
~ Dark Warrior Unleashed
~ Dark and Dangerous by Jeanne Adams
~ Mercury’s War by Lora Leigh

Name a book you have read MORE than once
~ It will be any books from the Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
~ I do know there have been some book that have changed the way I see life. It made me see people that I've met and been with, differently from the other side that I just never thought about before. All in good changes, if you wondering :)

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
~ If you mean when choosing the book from TBR piles, I go with whatever the mood take me to. Moods play great part in my reading. But if choosing the book from store,I always choose my book by word of the mouths first. Or I go by recommendation from people I know who have similar taste as mine or people I know I can trust with their tastes in books. But more often, there will be people who raves...and that peek my interet too :)

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
~ I always prefer fiction

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
~ I say both. Since they are highly must have in my books. Also my favorite genres is Romance Suspense and more often there tend to be both in them too.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
I'm not sure if this is what you mean....but here my list anyway! *grin*
~ Jamie and Claire from Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
~ Roarke and Eve from In Death series by JDRobb aka Nora Roberts
~ Sam Starrett and Alyssa from Troubleshooter series by Suzanne Brockmann
~ Julie and Zack from Perfect by Judith McNaught
~ Meredith and Matt from Paradise by Judith McNaught

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
~ A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon - I'm slowly reading it and only managed to get to Chapter 22

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
~ The Risk by Alison Kent
~ Trial by Fire by Jo Davis

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
~ Yep I have

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

13 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

You bought a lot of books. I am envious!

My meme answers!

SmilingSally said...

I guess A Breath of Snow and Ashes is not so good, or are you too tired to read much at night.

Anonymous said...

I love Jamie and Claire, too!

Chrisbookarama said...

I'm a big Outlander fan too. Happy Belated Birthday!

Kat said...

Yay for fiction, and beautifully written stories with a gripping plot! :)

Melody said...

Hey, I didn't know Cindy Gerard's book is out! Will have to check it out via online bookstores! ;P

Cathy said...

Another Outlander fan here!

Anonymous said...

I agree both plot and good writing are needed.

I don't think I have read any of the books you have listed.

Julia said...

Gautami - but it doesn't seem too many to me...compare that with other people who brought more then I did :)

Smilingsal - oh no....A Breath of Snow and Ashes is good. I enjoy what am reading so far. It just that I like to devour it, which is why am slowly reading it. And TV shows also delay my reading sometime *grin*...

Paula - Aren't they wonderful characters?! I love them too

Chris - So nice to see there are Outlander fan out there *grin* --- thanks for the belated Birthday!

Kat - Nice to see you here again!Fiction keep me entertain and I like to be entertained. And my books must have beautifully written stories and gripping plot for me to enjoy books.

Melody - Yep Cindy Gerard's Show No Mercy, is out. Go get it. Should we read this together someday? *grin* - It nice to see you posting! :)

Cathy - Happy to see another Outlander fan! And thanks for visiting me :)

Barbarah - Plot and beautiful writing is must have in my books. I have read lot of books with them and enjoy it. Maybe it might peek your interested to read some of the books that I listed here - for a first "new to me author" for you?

Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting. I hope you come and visit me again! :)

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I have often wondered how Diana Gabaldons' books are. I see them in the bookstore all the time.

Julia said...

Confuzzled Shannon - Diana Gabaladon's Outlander series are awesome books! IF you are not afraid of thick books, long detailed writing, time travel, written in first person voices and slow/fast pace reading. But even though it have all of these, it is WORTH the reading IMO. What make it for me is the heroine/heroe love for each other. Jamie and Claire is one of my favorite characters/couple of all times :)

Alice said...

Hi hi Julia! I've enjoyed reading your answers. I like both fiction and non-fiction.

As you know, I'm on a book ban now but before the ban took effect (haha!), I had a couple of boxes arrived and today another one. So... that puts buying to a good stop now. LOL.

Julia said...

Aww, Alice - don't stop buying books...even no matter how many times we tell ourself that we going to stop...our brain isn't listen anyway.... LOL

I love getting new boxes of books. I hope that you have all Nora's books. Let me know if there something missing and I help you get it :)