Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dark of Night
by Suzanne Brockmann



Suzanne Brockmann's website
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Pub. Date: January 2009
ISBN-13: 9780345501554
Sales Rank: 1,265
418pp
Series: Troubleshooters Series, #14





*Bookcover flap blurb*:
Taking on the world’s deadliest criminals is what the elite security force Troubleshooters Incorporated does best. But now they face a new and powerful threat from their most lethal enemy yet–a shadowy government outfit known only as The Agency.

For years, operative James Nash has performed ultra-covert “Black Ops” missions for The Agency, but when he decide to walk away from their dirty work, his corrupt bosses aren’t about to let him go. After Nash is nearly assassinated, Troubleshooters team leader Lawrence Decker launches a skillful deception to neutralize the threat and protect his friend. With the FBI’s help, Decker fakes Nash’s death, then brings him to a safe house with his fiancĂ©e, Tess Bailey, to recover from his injuries and strategies their next move.

Only a handful of people know that Nash is still alive–and fellow Troubleshooters Dave Malkoff, Sophia Ghaffari, and receptionist Tracy Shapiro aren’t among them. Believing that Nash is dead and that Decker has begun a romantic relationship with Tess, Sophia settles for second best and begins a love affair with Dave, who has adored her for years. But Tracy puts two and two together, discovering the truth about Nash–much to Decker’s dismay.

As passions flare, Decker struggles to keep his scheme afloat, and to keep Nash alive. But when he finds himself targeted for death, the game turns even more perilous, and Sophia, Tracy, and Dave are swept into the deadly play. Under fire and racing to unmask their relentless adversary, the Troubleshooters know that the closer they get, the greater the risks. But sacrifices and consequences come with the territory. Forced to choose between love and loyalty, they are no longer just solving a crime–they’re fighting for survival.

*End of bookcover flap blurb*

The bookcover flap blurb has cover almost everything. So I will just jump in and tell you my thought on the book. I’ve been following Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooter series since a guy-friend introduced me to Suz’s book. At first I hesitated to read it, but once I start it I couldn’t stop reading. I grab the next installment, after the next…after the next. And now I’m on the current book *grin*. There so much going on each installment that you really need to follow, starting with the first book. This way you can keep up with everything that happen with everyone and the events. Example: you see a couple just start to met and their relationship begin to built up and than throughout a few book installments, their HEA happen 5 books later. But it not the last we see of them. Readers get a peek to see what they up to and what their life is like after their HEA. Some couple relationship has problem that need to work out too. And from the first 5-6 books, Suzanne weave in 3 (or more) stories plot line in each book but yet all the stories are tied together at the end. I love it! The next 7-14 books are done same but yet it has a different feel to it. But still it good and I enjoy it. Not all of the books become my favorite. But this doesn't mean the books didn't left me feeling something, that I would remember. I do enjoy reading them. Can't you tell I'm HUGE fan of Suzanne Brockmann? *grin*.

What I love about Dark of Night is how well everyone works together as a team while they’re rescuing their people. There so many things happen all at once. There is lot of action and romance in this book, which I love. You will see your favorite characters or couples again. And even a long time character(s) too *grin*. I was thrilled! I'm always looking forward to take a peek at what been going on with previous couples/characters. AND I also love that the heroine was not “too stupid to live” in this one. I have complaint about this all the time when I come across heroine like this in any books (in general). One of the character made sarcastic statement about this and I had to laugh about it.

The story began where Into the Fire left off, so you shouldn't get confuse with what happening through out this book. The action happen on the first go and you will see throughout the book the team trying to solve the crime. Lot of emotional and excitement action involved.

I enjoy seeing who is paired with whom and think that each characters are well deserved for one another. And it interesting to watch as Sophia, Tracey, Dave, Decker,Tess and Nash over come their secure, want, trust and feeling. I also enjoy seeing previous HEA couple are still strong, even when they have their up and down moments. I hate Dr. Jo Heissman and I'm not sure why. She didn't make good impression to me when we first met her. She still don't. And I wonder if Suzanne might do something with her - if she continue to be seen in the next series.

It just seems like FOREVER since I saw one of the character (not saying who). He was seen in Out of Control and when I saw him, I was surprise. I’ve been thinking about him during the course of the each book installments and wonder if he will ever reappear again. I think Suz must have heard me or read my mind LOL!

*SPOILER AHEAD* (just highlight the texts to see spoilers) enter at your own risk Otherwise, just scroll down the bottom to read the rest of review w/out spoiler

I do wish that Decker and Sophia end up together. This is because I thought that they were like two damaged souls who has gone through so much that they need each other. I was expecting them to be together, to let go of the past and the guilt so that they can finally get HEA. But while I am sort of disappointed that it didn't happen that way, I think I'm happy that Sophia end up with Dave. Suzanne have a way to take two people, put them together and somehow make it work. And to me that is what all should matter. I am happy with the way it turn out. There is something special about the relationship between Sophia and Dave. I have always love the best friend first than become lover, story line. That one of my favorite part. I can feel their love for each other, the emotional ordeal and their protection too.

For me, it did feel weird to have Decker be with Tracey...at first. But than once I learn more about Tracey, I was able to get close to her enough to like her a little bit LOL! I never thought about Tracey with Decker. That just never cross my mind. But I've accept it, unless Suzanne is playing with our mind again *LOL*. I love that Tracey hide her smartness from people and just let people think she was dumb. And she made me laugh a couple of times too. I think in a way, Decker and Tracey are perfect for each other because she bring out the emotion and the good in him. She made him talk more about thing he would never told anyone else, except a little bit with Dr. Jo Heissman. And he made Tracy feel like she is important and smart too. Decker was the kind of guy who can be in control in a dangerous situation but yet at sometime feel unsure of himself of deserving when he around the people he become friends with. The chemistry between them were really intense and hot!

I love that we get to see Sam and Alyssa and their baby Ash. They’re one of my favorite couple and no matter how many times we see them I’m never tired of seeing them. Especially my Sam *grin*. I love that Sam was given Nash advice on relationship. I laugh over the whole conversation. I also laugh about some of the SpongeBob and Squirt pant kids toy items that was lay around Sam/Alyssa home. Every time I see it, I am reminded of Sam and Jules nickname for each other. We can really see their friendship bonded so closed enough to know they love each other in a way sibling does. And I love seeing the scenes where Sam made some late at night sandwiches for the men: Nash, Jules and Robin. Funny but friendship bonding – a very touching moment.


*END OF SPOILER*

Dark of Night was an exciting book with lot of action and romance, which I devour and savour. Lot of good moments and bonding. Great chemistry and intense scenes. Good and very witty dialogue. Strong heroines/heroes and friendship. The book will grab your attention and engaged you throughout the book.

Suz have done a wonderful job of writing a universe world where it seem to be so real, that I sense that we are standing in their world. She have a way of making me feel emotionally involved with her characters and care about them. The characters we grew to love remain – for a long time – remembered and still fresh in our mind, once we closed the book. They're not perfect nor are they just one dimensional characters. They are human and they are real.

Give Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series a try. It get better from each books. I'm happy to know that the next book Hot Pursuit (book #15) will be released in July 28, 2009 - said at Suzanne Brockmann's website. I'm excited!

Grade: 4.75 stars (very close to being 5 stars)

Here are the list of books in order:

1. The Unsung Hero
2. The Difiant Hero
3. Over the Edge
4. Out of Control
5. Into the Night
6. Gone Too Far
7. Flashpoint
8. Hot Target
9. Breaking Point
10. Into the Storm
11. Force of Nature
12. All Through the Night (A Troubleshooter Christmas book)
13. Into the Fire
14. Dark of Night
15. Hot Pursuit Upcoming/releasing in July 28 2009

6 comments:

Melody said...

Great review, Julia!
I'm glad you enjoyed reading Suzanne's books, as always. :)

I think I know who's your favourite hero in this series. :P

Julia said...

Thanks Melody for your comments!

I always love reading Suzanne Brockmann. So no matter if the books is favorite or less favorite, I enjoy reading them either way :)

Who my favorite hero? LOL

Melody said...

SAM!!! :D

Julia said...

OMG! It scary that you know me too well LOL! :D

Alice said...

Great teamwork always make a good story! Glad to know you enjoyed the story! :D

Julia said...

Hey Alice - yep and great teamwork is equal successful! *grin*. I wish you try Suzanne Brockmann's books. I think you would have enjoy them :)